BSC (Hons) MD FRCP (UK) FESC
Consultant Cardiologist and Head of Clinical Services Cardiology Clinical Academic Group St Georges Hospital
Elected Member of Professional Societies, British Cardiac society, British Society Echocardiography, European Society Cardiology, European Association Cardiovascular Imaging.
I am a consultant cardiologist with specialist interest in valve disease, diseases of the aorta, complex echo imaging. I am actively in research and have 7 book chapters, 22 review articles, 41 original articles as well as many case reports. I regularly present at national and international meetings. I am committed to working with colleagues in a multidisciplinary format to improve patient care. I am committed to education and am co director of a national imaging course.
Dr Sharma graduated from Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital Medical School in 1993, and received his cardiology registrar training at the Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre between 1997 and 2005. He currently holds a BSc (Hons), MD and MBBS qualifications.
He became a research registrar in echocardiography at St George's Hospital and Medical School in 2001 for two years, before becoming a consultant cardiologist at Ealing Hospital in 2006.
Dr Sharma has been a consultant cardiologist and director of echocardiography at St George's Hospital since 2010, and in 2011 became an honorary lecturer at St George's, University of London.
- Member, Royal College of Physicians
- Member, British Medical Association
- Member, British Cardiovascular Society
- Member, European Society of Cardiology
- Member, British Society of Echocardiography
- Member, American Society of Echocardiography
- Member, European Society of Echocardiography
- Clinical Interests
- Complex echocardiography imaging including stress, valvular and aortic diseases.
Cardiac complications of pregnancy and renal disease.
- Marciniak, A., Sharma R. Diagnosis and Management of Marfan Syndrome. Springer. 2016. Book Chapter 7. The Role of Echocardiography in Marfan Syndrome: 57-73
- Melchiorre K, Sharma R, Baskaran T. Cardiovascular implications of pre – eclampsia: an overview. Circulation. 2014 Aug 19;130(8):703-14.
- Sharma R, Pellerin D, Gaze DC, Gregson H, Streather CP, Collinson PO, Brecker SJD. Cardiac structural and functional abnormalities in end stage renal disease patients with elevated cardiac troponin T. Heart 2006;92(6):804-809.
- Sharma R, Mann J, Drummond L, Livesey SA, Simpson IA. The evaluation of Real Time 3 - Dimensional transthoracic echocardiography for the pre-operative functional assessment of patients with mitral valve prolapse – a comparison with two dimensional transoesophageal echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2007;20(8):934-40.
- O’Driscoll J, Marciniak A, Ray K, Saha A, Smith R, Sharma R. The safety and clinical usefulness of dobutamine stress echocardiography among octogenarians. Heart. 2014 Jul;100(13):1001-7.
- Sharma R, O’Driscoll J, Bromley P, Sritharan M, Rosen S. Differing autonomic responses to dobutamine in the presence and absence of myocardial ischaemia. J Physiol. 2015 May 1;593(9):2171-84.
- O’Driscoll J, Gravina A, Di Fino S, Thompson M, Karthigelasingham A, Sharma R. Transthoracic echocardiography provides important long-term prognostic information in patients undergoing endovascular abdominal aortic repair. Circulation Cardiovascular Imaging. 2016 Feb 9(2).
- Melchiorre K, Sharma R, Khalil A, Baskaran T. Maternal cardiovascular function in normal pregnancy – evidence of maladaptation to chronic volume overload. Hypertension 2016 Apr;67(4):754-62.